Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Toggle Navigation Menu

Mascot and Athletics Brand: Frequently Asked Questions

We’re excited about creating a visual identity for the Scots. 

How will we decide? When will we see a new mascot? Can I share my ideas, too? We know you have questions. Here’s some answers (but reach out to Julie Hogan at [email protected] if have other questions):

Wait, this isn’t just about a mascot?

No. We are creating a new visual identity for the Scots. This includes a graphic mark, type treatments, and a set of rules that will help guide how the new identity is used. You’ll see this identity on our website, in social media, and on athletic uniforms, and you’ll definitely see our new mascot at events around campus. The mascot will be a symbol of our Macalester spirit and what it means to be a Scot. 

I’m not an athlete, how does this concern me?

A mascot is the emblematic of a place so you’ll see our mascot all around campus and on all kinds of materials. Yes, Athletics will use the new identity on their uniforms and to help promote the program but we want the whole community to embrace the mascot and make use of it anytime someone wants to show what it means to a Scot.

Why are we updating the mascot?

Throughout Macalester’s history, various mascots have come and gone. Pigs, ducks, and people have all represented the Scots. But, none of those “mascots” were created with a guiding set of principles and none were created with full community engagement. 

Macalester is celebrating its 150th year in 2024—now feels like a perfect time to create a visual symbol of the Macalester spirit. 

Why are we called the Scots?

According to the college archives, Macalester’s Scottish tradition comes from James Wallace. In 1930, Wallace, a prominent faculty member and former president, compiled a book on the history of his own ancestry, the Wallace and Bruce clans in Scotland. The effort to “establish a Scottish tradition,” The Mac Weekly wrote, occurred around James Wallace’s 89th birthday—the first Founder’s Day celebration.

With the success of the Scottish-themed Founder’s Day celebration, Macalester became the Scots and that name has remained today.

How will you choose what the mascot will be?

We have formed a mascot committee composed of students, faculty, staff, and alumni. This group created a set of guidelines and criteria to guide this work. But, we’ll need the Macalester community to help make decisions.

During the month of January, we’ll ask everyone to submit ideas for our new mascot and hold focus groups. 

What are the guiding principles for the mascot?

• Embodies a fierce and competitive spirit
  • Unifies the campus and larger community
  • Relevant across generations to Macalester experience or history
  • Works equally well for women’s and men’s sports teams
  • Can translate well visually
  • Is unique among our peer set and is not an established mark outside of our peer set

When can we see the new mascot?

September 28-29 at MacFest 2024 – but you might get a sneak peak before then.