

MCSG Minutes 10/7/14

Attendees

James Lundgren	Jennie Kim	Stephanie Martinez	Seth L-K
Heather Johnson	Diego Tamayo	Akila Copeland	Alexx Harley
Chris Piper	Rick Beckel	Biftu Takele	Cole Wise
Ari Hymoff	Jenny G	Caroline Dumcomb	Suveer Daswani
Tejas Singh	Nandita Elijah	Rothin Datta	Aman Imani

Jim Hoppe, Joan Maze- advisors

::

>Meeting begins 19:06<

07: AB: First is the SSRC. We'll have an event on oct 17th at the table near the library. We'll hand out cider and chocolate. We'll rotate shifts so no one person has to be there, so please sign up! There will be business with the community chest but we don't have a date yet. It could be this Friday. Promotional idea for the CC, voices on mental health will be coming to the next ssrc meeting.

:09 JK: Now for FAC duties. We have guests at 7:30 so I'll make this brief. Outing club has a large request of \$6,200. This is a budget that will take some time to look through, at this point we recommend \$300 for repairs and supplies for an on campus workshop. More coming soon. I move to approve outing club for \$300.

2nd James

:11 JL: Is there any other reason we should know of to deny the funds?

JK: Yes, we have questions on what items they need that will be so expensive.

The government pays for emergency supplies so that's not a factor. Some money needs to go to the travel fund.

:12 JG: What workshops?

JK: I'm not sure when they are or what they'll be about.

RB: I believe the workshops have to do with first aid training and survival skills.

:13 JL: Alison Greenly could assist with the outing meeting. Also they could look for surplus funds from the Macward Bound club, they may have extra assets.

JM: I'm wondering if we've bought some of this equipment already for macward bound.

JL: Anything that is bought for MB is free for the outing club to use. If the equipment is inventoried they can lend it to the outing club.

:14 JK: I move to question

22 for, 0 against, 0 abstain

:15 JK: Ok, mac martial arts asked for \$600 to pay an instructor to teach fighting styles. We recommend the full amount of \$600. I move to approve this allocation.

2nd Biftu

JK: I move to question

23 for, 0 against, 0 abstain

JK: Ok, the art history club asked for \$500 but we haven't recommended any money.

:17 JL: Their account has been recently unfrozen from them getting in contact with me. I'm not sure if they have 10 members or enough to constitute an org.

JK: Is there a way to get the word out? We could fund it.

:19 JL: We should send this allocation back for now and FAC and art club should push their event back. They submitted this allocation while their account was still frozen.
RD: How recent is their charter? Was it from last year?

:20 JL: I'm not sure. They wouldn't meet with me in person.
JK: Why did they get unfrozen then?
JL: Because of a conflict. I saw him and talked and it seemed alright.
RD: Can we request a list of members?
JL: No, we can't look at the listsrv.
RD: Then how do we enforce the 10 member rule if we can't check how many members the org has? They could have a one person org.
JL: Its really only enforceable when the org is chartered. Anyways I move to send this allocation back to the FAC.
2nd Ari

:22 JK: Ok. What if they don't get back to me for a while?
JL: Then we can vote to deny.
CW: Hold on, we could be out of order. Does James have to amend jennies motion in order to send it back?
JK: No motion was made. I withdrew it
JL: So maybe we can get a hold of the list, it says in the bylaws that only the institution cannot look at the lists. Anyways, lets vote.
23 for, 0 against, 0 abstain

:24 KF: Ok good stuff. PB you're next.
SLK: We had the petting zoo and fall carnival last week, it was a great success. Apple picking was recently as well and it went really well.
KF: Great. AAC?

:25 AH: I had received a couple comments from the bill from last week. Steph made a comment that was good, and to answer her question we have the stipulation in order that more departments can receive books. The \$1000 cap is also a major player in that, it makes the other point moot. We will take a survey later in the year to see what books to buy. Anyway, the AAC can hold books in many different forms.
SM: I actually had a second question. How did you calculate the 20% statistic? Is it arbitrary? How does the rate of checkout play into this idea as well?

:28 AH: It is a baseline percentage in order to ensure a stable count all through the process. Its just so we have enough books in many other factors. The human aspect of the AAC should be a balancing tool with the maths. This number we chose works well with our formula.

:29 SM: It doesn't seem that important to have this number in there, if we don't cut it out of the final bill it could cause problems of interpretation in the future.
AH: We could insert a rationalization part into the final draft to explain.
SM: Cool

:30 AH: Other comments- we rationalized a few more things in response to many claiming the bill was too complex and required a streamlining. Hopefully we've covered all the bases.
RD: Write these new rationals right now. Now we have a guest.

:31 JK: This is Chris, his from the mac activist council for reproductive justice wanting an additional allocation.

CRD: This is a submission submitted in less than two weeks ahead of time so we're going to break the bylaws. We were 12 hours late. The reason we're here is the speaker we invited to come to the college has had a rise in cost, the plane ride and hotel have gone up so we need \$300 more to cover it. We're using all of our money right now.

:32 RD: if its unforeseen expenses then that needs to come out of your flexi account.

CRD: This estimate is based off of how much we have left to spend. We're doing all we can.

JG: I was going to say the same.

JK: One member I talked to mentioned you had spoken with Joan, What did you say to them Joan?

JM: I didn't make the flight reservation until they had signed the contract so it was too late.

:34 JL: I move to suspend the bylaws to vote on this late allocation. Keep in mind we need a 2/3rds majority in order to vote on this allocation.

2nd JG

JK: The FAC recommends that we do it.

JH: Can the FAC actually up the amount of money? It should be enough that the org shouldn't have to use their funds.

JK: Yeah that's possible.

JG: I move to question.

23 for, 0 against, 0 abstain

:36 JK: Looking at your check balance it says that you have \$120 left. How much more do you need to keep it balanced?

CRD: \$60 more.

JL: Because this is an additional allocation it has to be used on only what it is being given out for.

:38 RD: Is that correct?

JH: Yes, that's what the bylaws state.

JG: They budgeted for all of it so they should be able to use all the money that they receive.

:39 JK: I move to approve the total allocation of \$310.

2nd Rothin

JK: Move to question

23 for, 0 against, 0 abstain

:40 JK: Ok great. Thanks for coming. Next on the agenda is another allocation, this time for a dwali dinner. ACLU mac requests \$800 as well, but we're going to look at that next week.

:41 AH: Before we look at this book reserve bill one more time I'll explain the changes I made. I added subpoint rationales for many of the points in order to explain them better. They explain how add and subtract books from the overall reserve for various reasons.

:42 CD: Do we need to reinstate the bylaws?

KF: Nope we've moved in.

AH: I move to approve the revised textbook reserve funding bill.

2nd Abaki

:43 NE: Did you say you could subtract books as well?

AH: Ah, no I'm sorry I misspoke. You cannot subtract books from the list.

:44 AC: Why not? So if a certain amount of books are reached there is no way to cycle out the old or unpopular ones?

NE: Yeah you can't do that?

AC: This may not be a situation that arises often but its still good to have on the bill just in case of any problems.

AH: The majority of the AAC can still vote to amend parts of the reserve, it takes a 2/3 majority. I'll add your ideas right now though.

RD: First you need to amend the motion on the floor right now. Write your changes out and then we can move on.

:46 JL: I have nothing else in the SOC besides more guests coming in.

KF: Remember the marathon going on right now. Its pretty great because money is being given to people who are in need.

:47 JH: The tobacco ban committee had its first meeting last week. Next time we'll begin to draft a bill outlining actions taken towards reducing smoking on campus. We're using models from other schools as a baseline for our ideas. It'll follow important procedures for enforcing the rules as well. In other news I scheduled the winter retreat, its going to be Feb 5th-7th.

:49 JL: All first years I need a picture of your faces for the website.

:50 AC: Does that apply to all people?

JL: I believe the pictures for everyone else is up to date.

CP: Can you get my picture? I put it on orgsync.

JL: Yeah that's no problem.

:51 SM: Anyone heard of or seen the border/immigration wall that was put up a bit ago? There is a big controversy stewing over its use. Basically it was supposed to be in the center of campus but at the last minute someone in administration decided for some reason that it needed to be put far away from public attention, in the courtyard of Jeanette Wallace. We should brainstorm ways to make processes for art projects like this easier to implement.

:52 AH: There is going to be aforum for the wall project at 9:15 near the wall. Everyone should come, especially MCSG reps. There was a large negative reaction on campus when word got out that the wall was going to be moved.

RD: Hold on, why was it moved?

HC: I heard it had something to do with trigger warnings, that someone with immigration experiences would be triggered by the wall. There was a similar project at Swarthmore that was vandalized and it caused many problems for the school.

:54 RD: Do we know anything about the background to this choice? Any names in administration about who was involved in this process?

SM: I'm not sure I wasn't involved in the actual process of putting it together. The main project was a physical barrier that was supposed to cross Old Main lawn in order to raise awareness.

:56 AH: Here is the org slip about the border wall. I'll read it aloud. It was definitely about awareness.

:58 KF: It was supposed to be 100 ft long? That's very long.

AH: Yeah I know it was across the crosswalk but the actual numbers might be exaggerated.

DT: We still don't know who made the decision to move the wall.

JH: I'm not sure either I haven't received much word about it recently. It could have been someone on the international roundtable committee.

:59 AH: I heard it came from pushback from the actual administration, meaning the president's office and the provost. This project has been going on all summer long, that's why it's so surprising to people that it was moved.

JL: There could be a similar rationale coming away from last year's bouncing castle, the triggering aspect of the castle was not advertised. They could have based the decision off of that experience

RD: Who in the administration are we talking about?

:00 SM: Nobody knows evidently. None of the orgs involved were told I any way about the new choice to move the wall.

:01 AH: What is the school policy for warning against triggers?

JH: Some programs have had trigger warnings given out beforehand and had them posted around the event as well. I'm not sure of the actual policy though.

:02 JM: If you guys want to put something together that would be great that outlines trigger warnings. Keep in mind though that many things could be triggering so let's not stifle our voices because of that.

:03 JH: It copied on what it was on old main. I was surprised it was moved honestly, I didn't get any word that was going to happen. The thing is I get the feeling that this was agreed upon, otherwise I doubt it would have happened.

HG: Did you say that maybe the IGC shut it down?

AH: It also appeared as a part of the Mac Weekly so look for the next edition. There is a lot of confusion and anger on campus about the moving, so we should figure out visibility for this situation. It'll become a hot topic on campus very soon.

:06 SM: We can look to the future to change this from happening again, as it's obvious we won't get any answers by sitting here being angry. We can write out how timing works and how last minute changes can be implemented.

:07 RD: Was the decision provided to the group too late for them to find another place? Was the board in charge under a false impression about the project? We need to understand this issue before we jump to any conclusions. Let's reach out directly to the group leader and invite them to the next meeting.

:09 JM: I agree with Rothin, there may have been safety/logistical problems that led to the change.

:10 DT: I will reach out to the person in charge. I think the wall is a valuable piece of art and we should continue this discussion in the next meeting.

AC: Elsa is the person who spearheaded the project, she would be good to have here.

JL: It may have been logistical, the Old Main lawn was reserved for something else on Friday.

:12 AH: Let's try to refrain from speculation.

AH: I'll reach out to Elsa

:13 JM: I'll attempt to get a person from the IGC to attend to get both sides of the issue.

CW: I work in the CDC so I can initiate that conversation.

DT: Let's work together to find out answers.

:16 RB: The main issue to me is how the entire campus will probably never see this wall because of its new placement.

JH: It is an art project, so this issue of who gets to use public space comes up often. A subset of campus often wants to reserve a larger part of it in order to advertise of present something.

AH: Ok I finished working on this bill, lets vote on it.

:18 NE: Before we make any amendment, can the index become make void and is there any logistical problems like where does extra money go?

:19 RD: I can see Nanditas point, this could be misunderstood in the future. Does an LB vote seem needed though?

AH: An AC vote should be enough to make any creases smooth, I don't think the LB needs to be involved in every decision.

:20 AI: We may need more rationale sections even if it makes it more clunky.

:21 AH: Some sections made need rationale, yes, but not all. It's a transition document, remember.

NE: What about subtracting books... could we cap enrollment on a certain area? Wait never mind I take that back.

:22 CW: Yeah you're talking about a different section which has already been resolved.

RB: Look, this bill may seem complicated but its really not. The context of each part of the bill needs to be taken into account, taking each section out individually is ignoring the whole point of the bill.

:24 AH: With that in mind is important that we get a 2/3 vote for the discretionary funds for the special part. Now I move to amend the bill that has been looked at in Section 3.

2nd Jennie

:26 JK: I move to question

22 for, 0 against, 0 abstain

:27 RD: I move to question on the whole thing... never mind I withdraw that motion.

CP: Isn't 2/3 enough?

AH: Yes, the AAC know the process.

:28 AI: Do you think it would be best to include Ann Minnick in these situations? She could help with clarity.

AC: Yeah another balance would be good.

AH: No, because I don't think it would be fair to the AAC or Ann to include her and notify her of every decision we make. It would just be a waste of time. 2/3 votes for changes in the bill in the AAC should be plenty.

:30 JK: I move to question on the whole thing.

23 for, 0 against, 0 abstain

JL: Ok now we have another org looking to get chartered, now its Mac and Cheese.

M&C: Hello, we are an org that is interested in food and food related activities, we have many ideas of where this group could go. We will coop with other cultural clubs and orgs on campus to get more diversity in the experience. Sustainability orgs and food justice orgs will also be involved. We plan on reaching out to local farms and also writing a weekly food blog on whats good to eat nearby.

:34 KF: You're acronym for your club is great.

DT: This is a good idea for an org, the health and wellness center may be a good partner for you to team up with.

:35 RB: I think its good as well. Why don't you look at cooking in language houses or the cultural house. Also may I propose large scale baking projects and gingerbread houses.

:36 JK: Where are you planning to cook in? What kitchen? The Kagin kitchen has a Bon Ap monopoly so you need to ask them if you can cook there. Also there was another org in the past that tried to do what you do, and they failed.

:38 M&C: We will have good solid information on the specifics later after we do some looking. Right now we're looking at 2 non event meetings a month plus one cooking event every month. RSVP will be required in order to prevent the same people from coming over and over.

:40 JH: The basement kitchen of Kagin might work.

:41 AC: So could the cultural house.

AH: What supplies would you require?

M&C: not much, we will work with what ever is available in the kitchen that we go to.

AC: The C house has plenty of cooking supplies.

:43 JK: I think you guys have a lot of enthusiasm, thanks for coming... I'm not sure guys, I don't think it's going to pan out unfortunately. The MCSG does not pay for free dinners.

BT: The SOC was concerned w/ how it was going to work as well. They said they had a good idea about how to circumnavigate that issue, they would ask for allocations for supplies that they would use to cook with. That way we're not paying explicitly for food.

:45 DT: I think the group could have a positive impact on campus.

AB: Yeah how would this translate into a yearly budget? It seems unsustainable after the founders leave.

:46 JL: We asked them about that, and we all decided that if they get chartered this year could be a trial year, one where they can figure out how much they need and plan accordingly. The sole purpose for this org cannot be just food.

:47 RD: We can't tell them that they need more programming, they aren't even an org. Also I don't think we should be having this discussion after the group leaves, it seems disingenuous.

:48 AC: We don't give out free dinners

:49 CP: Food is quite tricky to fund, if they got own dues that could work.

JM: I still think we should charter them, we can foster understanding of the guidelines. I think we should give them a chance.

:50 AC: In the SOC is there a general pool of money?

JL: It differs honestly depending on ideology, becoming chartered allows M&C to use the Macalester name in their events and allows for allocation requests from the FAC. The intent of the group is a space where food can become a means to companionship. We looked together at the requirements for becoming an org and they fit all of them.

:53 RD: We need to make clear the rules to the group before we can charter them.

:54 SD: I think they deserve a chance. This group seems to be something different that can add a lot to campus.
JL: Also we shouldn't assume that ignorance of the rules is the primary issue here. The org leaders are competent, they should be fine with understanding boundaries.

:55 AC: I'd rather assume they know nothing.
BT: We can meet them again in the SOC to talk things over.

:57 JL: They have access to the org handbook and the module explaining how orgs get chartered and the rules involved in that process.
JM: Do still have to go through the regular budget process?
JL Yes.

:59 JM: They should understand why the FAC does what it does. They can still have other stuff in their group besides food. The existence of food in the group shouldn't preclude them from becoming chartered.

:00 RD: Ok, lets move on. Remember next time when the group is here to be honest with your feedback.
SD: Can we vote without their presence?
DT: No, we are representatives. Lets be professional, there is no room for personal sentiment.
SLK: we will be held accountable for how we vote by the people we represent.

:01 NE: Make clear why you vote either way.
RB: Also transparency is an issue here.

:02 JM: If an org is denied, can the readapt their charter and try again?
JL: No they'll have to wait until next semester.

:03 Various announcements
>Meeting ended 21:08<