

MCSG Minutes 9/30/14

Attendees

Peace Madimutsa	Aman Imani	Cole Wise	Steph Martinez	Seth L-F
Nandita Elijah	Chris Pieper	Abaki Beck	Diego Tamayo	Biftu Takele
Heather Johansen	Akila Copeland	Alexx Harley	Caroline Ducombe	
Rick Beckel	Jennie Kim	Rothin Datta	James Lundgren	
Jenny Grischuk	Konnor Flem.	Ari Hymoff	Tejas Singh	
Suveer Daswani				

::

>Meeting start time 19:06<

:06 KF: Lets do names again before our first speaker...

:10 Susanne: Alright now onto sustainability, and how you guys can get involved. I was hired to help with transition into sustainability. We figured out climate neutral plans, and higher ed has a special role in being sustainable since we train people to live this way. We signed many declarations for supporting this idea. Leadership operations, education is huge. Our plan covers this and more. I help everyone across campus work to become more sustainable. There are a few things that MCSG can help with. I hope y'all decide to get more involved. Students can ask questions about this policies and be sure to hold us accountable for our choices. Our greenhouse gas inventory is measured and it has been steadily declining over the past years. Any questions?

:16 JK: How is airline emissions measured, is it personal or just study abroad?

Susanne: We took the boundary written in our contract. Personal GG is murkier

:18 AH: You mentioned other schools that support sustainable actions

Susanne: Yes, in some ways this was an effort by the government to get schools involved. Some schools have green fees for orgs. I would love you to be involved with this in the strategic planning process. Theres also a grant given to us for green stuff. Problems center around commitment. Theres an oversight role for you guys, like how some schools have sustainability officers. Right now I don't know how to pay for offsets in 2025. Next thing is rewriting our sus plan, the opportunity to review and be part of the process is possible. You all have a unique role in student orgs, and how they're being managed.

:22 BT: What is your opinion of what we have done in the past?

Susanne: I can send you our yearly review, we're making good progress with energy efficiency, we overestimated power gained from biogas. Good progress with building into facilities. 0 waste is good, for hugs helped. We still have a lot of compostables in trash. Orgs must have a big hand in that. Classroom sustainability education is tough but now we have a grant. Our student orgs are coming along.

:26 RD: We're working on directly involving ourselves. Can we form some doc that we can propose, what do the sustainability department want from us? 10 goals or maybe 5 goals for next few years.

:27 Susanne: A small group to focus this could be good

DT: Just environmental sustainability?

Susanne: We're not just focused on the environment. Places we were weakest was environmental, social justice and economics are in play. How do you separate them? You really can't. We don't focus as well on social justice. All these together is sustainability. We include all three parts. Lots of classes have elements but not all three.

:31 CP: How can we students get involved?

Susanne: Through our facilities. Work orders are another way. We could use a place where people can ask these questions. I'm the first person they go to to ask questions.

:33 JK: We have another guest speaker so we need to move on.

:34 Ryan and Kayla from the LAC: We want rights to the movie ROOTS for black history month.

JK: We are thinking \$912, its important that people hear about this too. LAC should collaborate with the DML or other departments.

Kayla: Right now we're working with a lot of people

:35 JK: I move to approve \$912 for these rights
2nd-> Steph

JL: Tell us about the movie

:36 Kayla: This a build up for our speaker, it's a long movie so we'll have 6 days. We're also doing theme for Black history at Mac. We need to recognize our own connection to this

:37 RD: move to question

Motion passes 24 for, 0 against, 0 abstain

:38 JK: FAC updates, we approved money for DJ club for their Kagin. We got a few new requests. Also we got a new bookkeeper. That's it until our next guest

:40 AB: No meeting yet for SSRC, mac @ night was moved to feb 14, we're trying to revitalize FB use for MCSG. Biographical information can now be uploaded.

:41 CD: Do we have a twitter?

AB: Yes

:42 AH: I don't remember what the password is though.

:43 HJ: Lets figure out FB soon

Seth: Also we're planning a social media event to spread awareness

CD: What do we post?

AB: Promoting events, support other events around campus. A strat planning doc summary is up there as well. Bios of MCSG members too

:45 Bo kim: I'm the chair of wiseral

JK: I submitted \$700 request for the breakdance event. I move to approve the funds
2nd-> Peace

:46 JL: Tell us about how the event went last year.

Bo: Last year was the MN breakdance battle, over 300 people attended. Students from mac were greatly involved

:47 AI: I was the building manager at the time, we need better lighting for the event.

:48 DT: Is there a need to have a host? An org member could do it

Bo: We want mac to be the venue and we need to be professional. The host last year was very good and the B dance atmosphere is hard to emulate

:49 JK: The host has specific knowledge for dances, moves and such

PM: What about security?

RD: Can we amend it?

Jim: it may have to go back to committee

JK: Ok, I withdraw my motion

:51 JG: Are we still using the same company from last year

RB: theater dept could help with lighting

AC: I'll check but don't get your hopes up

:52 JL: what about work lights from facilities?

Jim: I'll have to check w/ campus programmes

:53 Suveer: what about DJ professionalism?

CD: Incoming groups can help

JL: We have blacklights that we can use

:54 AI: Loch and DJ club have lights we can use

JL: Ok, now we have the Jewish Council for progressive action here again, I move to approve and ratify their charter

2nd -> Biftu

:56 JB: We met with a bunch of other orgs and changed our name, other than that we're the same group

:57 Seth: Do you have an advisor?

JB: No, the generational divide is wide and we want to target young people. We could talk to the campus rabbi

James: questions for advisors can go to campus activities

:58 RD: Would you classify yourself as a religious org? No? Good

CW: Move to question

Motion passes, 23 for, 0 opposed, 1 abstain

20:00 RD: heres a logistical question, if you have questions about Roberts rules of order look at the sheet in your folder and ask questions. Abstentions can only stem from personal conflicts

:01 Alexx: Is abstain permission required?... no.

:02 AH: AAC, when I was buying textbooks I realized it always depends on who is the current chair so I realized we need to fix that so there is a standard system. I kept some criteria and added more, so we created this ranking index

:03 CW: We rank books to buy by this index

:04 AH: We created a formula for textbook impact, enrollment numbers and price range for effectiveness of the purchasing program. We also capped the amount of books from certain subjects. The requirement is a minimum of 30 students and a price of over \$175.

Nandita: This is all part of the ranking system

:05 CW: Alright now I'll explain in detail the ranking system. There were 2 goals: Purchase expensive books and have them be used. We also want to have diversity in our selection. The tipping point is \$3500. Before that happens our index applies, before the tip we buy one book dept. After that we allow more books. At least four depts.. are usually represented. We included wiggle room of \$1500 to allow the AAC to buy whatever is appropriate.

:09 AH: Other materials are included, it allows flexibility. Also included is our timeline so we follow through

:10 NE: first we get applications from professors to get their books. Then we put them in the index. Once the books are ranked we go by dept. and choose.

:12 DT: How do you rank the other materials

AH: We haven't discussed that just yet, we'll put it to AAC discussion

CW: After we get to the tipping point that all changes

NE: Materials are not in the index

:14 RD: This is very cool. The timeline should be more specific. It seems a bit complex, you should provide reasoning to make it easier to understand

:15 CW: any regulation for \$1500

AH: We can report it

NE: Right now it can change with a 2/3 vote

Suveer: One copy of a cheap book would be helpful

:10 AH: We have limited funds which is why we made this need-based

:17 AI: Try to go for bigger ones, also weight of the book should be taken into consideration

Rick: If we open it up we'll get a lot of applications

Tejas: I don't think it's all that complex

:18 Konnor: We have guests so we'll cut off there.

James: this is the musical theater group from last time. I move to ratify and approve their charter

2nd -> Sam

:19 John: We hope to provide a musical theater experience for everyone
Caroline: What about caberets?

Allie: We have planned a review night and other themed nights

John: One idea we had is "Disney and Desserts".

:20 CW: The sunset clause was not specified.

JL: We'll give them one year to get established before doing that.

:21 JG: I like it

RD: Move to question

Motion passes: 24 for, 0 against, 0 abstain

:23 AB: Back to the AAC. How does the library track work? And how can you figure out class enrollment

:24 AI: The library keeps records. We could include a slip to question students about what to get next. Enrollment is max number of students, we have a cap on total students. Feedback is needed on caps.

:26 CW: Hard sciences would be highly represented we want to impact scores that have diversity as well

:27 AH: Try to comment on it before net week

:28 JL: Ok now on to this AFA charter.

Brooke: Hi, we want to start a group called the alternative faith association. It would be a space for minority faiths to be expressed

Alejandro: We've been working on this all summer. About 30 are already on the mailing list for the group. We need money to stock texts from these faiths

:31 Brooke: We need more texts

CW: I like it. Can we waive the min enrollment req. because this is religious?

JL: Its already waived

Sana: What plans do you all have?

Brooke: Community altars for coming holidays that intersect with others. We want an open community that can expose new people to these traditions.

:33 Alejandro: We want to invite local faith leaders to speak and share

Brooke: We also want better community relations and be able to reach out to other minority religions

:34 DT: Is it discussion or sharing? That needs to be clear

Brooke: Its both

:36 Heather: Would you have members on the religious faith council?

Brooke: yes

JL: What about assuming an advocacy role?

Brooke: Is a way to air concern over things blocking our faith from being practiced

:39 JK: Ok thanks a lot, next we have Lil' Scots coming

JL: The SOC update. Other orgs have contacted me, 4 orgs have not responded at all. I put open positions online, Mac Soup and Amnesty International got a lot of attention.

:40 AH: The current students website, there is a collab between outing club and the poetry slam club.

:42 JL: The DJ club came and expressed their concern over the way people were using their equipment. They're responsible for moving heavy equip, and it was overwhelming. Worked w/ building managers to help.

:44 RD: The DJ club didn't want people breaking their stuff

JL: Yes but they need to share. Its \$8000-9000 worth of equipment

:46 Caroline: Who is responsible for damages?
JL: the equipment is old, if people are responsible then then that but hopefully can replace/fix it.

:47 JK: Lil scots are back. Bon Ap is allowing lil scots to get \$280 for the semester for food. Move to approve

2nd -> Cole

:48 JL: How was the event?

Lil Scots: Good

BT: This money, what food are you getting and how can you be sustainable?

:49 L Scots: We don't have any sustainability but we're open to discussion. For food we're buying pizza and snacks like fruit. Pizza is for volleyball and fruit is for a field day snack

:51 Rick: An option is athletics compostable dishware

JK: Good. Move to question

Motion passes: 24 for, 0 against, 0 abstain

:52 SN: PB is good. Movies are going well. Edge of tomorrow and maleficent are coming up. PB meeting was productive, winter ball information will be coming soon

:54 Jim: founders day is coming after that too. Security is a concern. Tomorrow I will have the smoking taskforce meeting.

:56 NE: Remember to call safwalk!

Various announcements

::

>Meeting ends 21:02<