

MCSG Minutes 9/23/14

Attendees

Alexx Harley	Akila Copeland	Biftu Takele	Heather Johansen
Rothin Datta	Nandita Elijah	Konnor Fleming	James Lindgren
Sana Naz	Jennie Kim	Michelle Kiang	Rick Beckel
Jenny Grischuk	Aman Imani	Ari Hymoff	Cole Wise
Abaki Beck	Peace Madimutsa		
Jim Hoppe	Joan		

::

>meeting start time 19:06<

:06 Jennie: Each meeting is led by a different exec. Also plz don't have your laptops open during the meeting, only Luke can for the minutes. Now lets do some announcements, reps if you have any general complaints from your constituents speak up.

:08 Sana: This weekend is the retreat

:09 Rothin: like I mentioned in last weeks meeting today we elect a speaker. Nobody contacted me with interest for the position sooo who wants it? Lets have a volunteer.

:10 James: the role of speaker is to run the meeting + follow the agenda. The speaker also takes down the speakers list + executes the agenda. Its basically like what Sana and I did last week. A knowledge of proper procedure would help. Also if there is a tie in the exec board the speaker has the swing vote

:12 Rothin: the speaker doesn't write the agenda. Anyone? ... Ok Konnor and Biftu. I'll pass around paper, write the name of your vote down and hand it back

:14 James: At 730 we have a Jewish social history and action org member coming in to discuss the org. Later on is a musical theater group. Next week we'll vote on their charter... Next on the unchartering of orgs, some orgs have yet to be unfrozen. Some of these groups have not contacted me at all. I move to uncharter these four groups, keep in mind we require a 2/3rd majority.

➔ Seconded by Konnor

:17 Rothin: Are we voting for each org individually?

James: all at once

Ari: How open are these groups for new leadership? That could be the problem not the group itself.

James: These groups haven't contacted me in a year, its unlikely they're still active

:19 Jennie: I move to question

Motion passes: 18 for, 0 against, 0 abstains

:20 James: Before the next presentation how could we reach out to these other orgs? Many of them have no advisors that we could contact

:21 Sana: Is there any way we could get access to the member list?

James: No, we can't access email lists of orgs, it's a privacy thing

Sana: I think we should reach out to other org members and not just the leadership

:22 James: These are orgs that aren't responding to me emails... I guess we could ask IT for permission to get the mailing lists

Konnor: Can anyone take over these groups? What about a FB post to reach out to members?

James: That could work, for example the org Women in Sci and Math had no one to take over after the leader left, a friend of mine talked to the advisor and became the leader

:23 Rothin: We have a lot of orgs as it is, it's a stress on funds. I personally think pruning orgs and unchartering old defunct orgs is good

:24 James: Its very easy to charter an org so if they want to come back they can. Is there a way to notify the whole student body about this happening?

:25 Jim: We could send out a series of emails
Akila: Do we have a backlog of old orgs that exist on campus?
James: I believe all the charters exist in Google Docs somewhere
Akila: It would be a good idea to figure out firm standards for nonresponsive orgs

:26 Rothin: There are too many defunct orgs and that is money down the drain... Also about the speaker I may have to email missing reps to vote

:27 Jennie: OK, in FAC we approved \$250 in songs for DJ club. I'm meeting w/ WMCN for an update on org rules. SAC requested t-shirts, Lil Scots want money for food, Dance club wants something I don't remember what.. and the application for the bookkeeper position is open. That's it.

:29 James: 1st year elections ends tonight. I heard there are a few front runners but the remaining seats are close

:30 Abaki: in SSRC, mac @ night went ok. There is one problem, there are so many events going on on campus so we can't move from the Loch... therefore we're going to have to use Bon AP for food. I think we should get an exemption for our idea, it'll be "MCSG Gives you Wings", the theme could be both political west-wing themed as well as have buffalo wild wings cater
Alexx: for PB was vegas night catered by Bon Ap? We could get shooters

:32 Jennie: what about red bull?
Konnor: How much are episodes of the west wing? \$75 seems like a lot

:33 Sana: We have to pay extra money for rights to a public showing
Biftu: How are we on publicity?
Abaki: its not great. Its this oct 4th, we have a banner but food seems to be the biggest issue... for our page on diversity page we sent it to EPAG and the strategic planning committee. We want other students to look at it and give feedback. Please. Its easy

:35 Sana: What about on the MCSG FB page?
Jennie: That could be considered a passive endorsement

:36 James: ok now for this org. Here is Jacob Bessen, he is the head of the JLSA
JB: Hello. This org is a identity group and also an action group. It celebrates Jews in the political left and focusses on issues that threaten Jews in recent history. It also will celebrate legacy of Jewish social action and is also a pro-palestine group. At this moment there is no specific plan of action

:38 James: to introduce this charter lets ask some questions about the charter
Sana: Do you have any plans for meetings or programming?

:39 JB: We're going to have a religious celebration w/o a religious overtone. We want to celebrate holidays with a social justice aspect that is lacking in other orgs. In the future we could organize protests or panels
James: Remember to look over and make comments on the charter. We'll choose to approve it next week

:41 Rothin: OK about the speaker, I can't count votes of absentees so we have a tie. Lets vote again. Also I want to hear from the candidates.

:43 Biftu: I can do it, I have some extra free time that will lend itself well to my organization.
Konnor: I'm good for deciding split votes as I'm decisive. Also I am in football I assure you all that I will be dedicated

:44 Sana: OK, now on to PB. The first year PB rep was selected. We also have 3 assistants. Capture the flag is next week. For movies we decided to do some goal planning and restructuring. A survey is coming in 2-3 weeks. Also there is a concert tonight in Dupre

:46 Akila: Who are the assistants?
Sana: They assist with daily PB activities.

Alexx: are concerts a usual thing?
Sana: Nope. They have a FB page

:48 Jenny: what is the role of these assistants?
Sana: they'll work with planning and hopefully move to more bigger responsibilities. Its also good to have first years voices in the PB
Ari: OK, now in the AAC we have an exit strat for old textbook reserves. We're donating old books to the Better World Books foundation. It sells old books and gives the proceeds to various NGOs. They donate the rest to the library.

:50 Rothin: What are the changes?
Ari: new books will be a surprise.
Akila: Can we expand the reserve to other things besides books?
Ari: We have new calculators coming in soon, and yeah that was decided last year.

:51 Akila: Yeah cuz I think other materials would be helpful.
James: Rick suggested to invest in compostable dishware

:52 Rick: Its cheaper in bulk and if we buy it for orgs they can use it and we all save money. We can charge one cent per plate and one cent per fork.

:53 Jennie: We'll put some amount in for google account and distribute it
James: once the account is below a certain mark we can just buy more, like another 1000. It can be stored in the MCSG closet. A question is: how do orgs check it out?

:55 Jennie: we could have them do it 2 weeks prior to the event for plates and forks
Rick: Nah, I think they should be able to show up any day of the week and pick it up.

:56 Alexx: How are we going to do that and encourage this for orgs?
James: FAC could deny funding for dishware and force them to buy it from us. Its positive for everyone.

:57 Aman: Will this turn a profit for us?
Rick: Each plate costs less than a cent so we could avoid a profit by charging exactly the amount it costs
Jennie: Lets come back to this, now for the musical theater group. Introducing John Stark and Allie ____

:59 Allie: We want to start a musical theater group. We propose to have 2 main events, a small show in the fall and a big one in the spring. We can also do smaller themed parties.

20:00 John: this idea has been floating around for a while, we just need additional resources to start the group. We'll have cabaret nights along the way
Jennie: What about collaborations with the other groups on campus?

:01 Allie: Yeah, the mac players have already been contacted, we plan on reaching out to some a capella groups
John: Also sensitivity and gender focused orgs could help put on a bigger and more socially aware show

:03 Jennie: What shows are you thinking about?
John: Last 5 Years, You're in Town, perhaps Guys and Dolls. Themes that don't fit with the "Mac" attitude would be good to generate discussion

:04 James: What faculty have you reached out to?
Allie: We want to work with the drama department as well as the music department
John: I am the theater department liason so I have a direct line to the faculty. We will need faculty or staff for contracts. We'll soon put up a calender of events

:06 Rothin: How many people are interested in this idea? And how can we support this?
John: So many people!!!!1
Allie: We would like first years and sophmores to be the most involved to ensure longevity

:07 John: At the same time we want to keep it open for many participants
Peace: What is the estimated cost?

:08 Allie: We have the prop club available for props so that helps eliminate cost
John: The prop closet is gross, we need an inventory for it. Rights for plays are 500-1000 dollars.
We can also share resources with other orgs

:10 Akila: What about community collaborations? It opens up a lot of resources
John: not yet, right now campus is our focus. The community center could help. Thanks everyone!

:11 Jennie: Back to plays
Rothin: We were discussing profits

:12 Jim: Can Bon Ap supply it? We store stuff with them already
Rick: Its an option. I think we can handle it though, as well as cut down on red tape

:14 Aman: I say we should make profit, we could invest it in more plates
Rothin: If we did this through Bon Ap could we use non disposable plates and silverware?
Rick: The problem is orgs usually want to use disposable stuff. Especially for large events

:15 Rothin: We could buy things annually, insert it into the bylaws for the FAC to handle

:17 Joan: Lets work with Bon Ap. It saves money and a deadline would be more easily enforced.
Office hours wouldn't be flexible enough to meet the needs of the orgs

:18 Sana: responsibility could be delegated to the paid positions, also we could use google docs for the sign up sheet

:20 Cole: we don't want to run out of plates so the minimum should be higher
Aman: We can post hours for sign up on the wall near the office so people can see it. In the closet space is limited

:21 Rothin: We have only about 10 hours a week for work study positions so we need a more available option. Bon AP could work, we need to delegate the job and not assign it to ourselves. Also we need a space for the reserve

:23 Jennie: lets see how much people use it
Sana: Checkout form is needed. We could also SPO the plates to them

:25 James: This should be optional just in case we run out people can go buy them somewhere else.

:26 Heather: A Google doc is a good idea, Bon Ap would make it easier

:27 Peace: Can the sustainability department work on this?
Rick: We thought about it but we're understaffed and underfunded as it is. This is a Mac goal not just a sustainability goal

:28 Biftu: a schedule in Google calender would also work
Akila: This is too much work for us. Alos if they didn't have enough money how can orgs get what they need?

:29 Aman: An approval system would work for building managers. Not enough manpower is not an issue

:31 Rothin: We shouln't create a system that takes more than two weeks to get plates. This also shouldn't be optional

:32 Rick: I think building managers could work
Joan: We could do this but we should ask them first. If the plates were free that would be great then people have the incentive. Bon AP again would work well

:34 Rick: it may be simpler to use Bon Ap. How do we set that up?
Jim: They could be the supply chain, we need to figure out distribution

:35 James: We'll reach out to Bon Ap to see if they won't change this idea too much. We may have to pay an overhead charge. That's an easy conversation to have

:37 Rick: Accessibility is also a concern w/ Bon Ap. They're busy during meals and gone during the night while orgs are most active

:38 James: we could subsidize the org money for plates. Its more about scale since Bon Ap already has plates

Joan: A google doc is a good idea however the actual responsibility for distribution would be too much for us. We have a monthly meeting coming up with Bon Ap, I can bring it up then

:40 James: Vouchers would be good so orgs don't have to use money

:42 Various personal updates

:49 Rothin: Congrats Konnor, you are the new speaker!

>meeting ends 20:54<